An Expert Guide To Writing In-Depth Synthesis Essays
The common question amongst many first-time writers is “What exactly is a Synthesis essay?” Well, to put in simply, synthesis essays are an amalgamation of different ideas and perspectives about a singular subject. Writers have to understand a given essay prompt and synthesise an article by gathering and analysing data from various relevant information sources.
Synthesis essays require a deep understanding of the subject, solid analytical abilities, and an eye for detail. Writers have to be able to look at issues from different perspectives in an unbiased fashion and deliver their own thoughtful opinion.
To that end, here are some expert-approved tips for developing a winning essay writing strategy.
3 Essential Prerequisites For Developing A Superb Synthesis Essay
Drafting an excellent synthesis essay requires a tactful writing strategy. The very nature of these essays necessitates utilisation of multiple research avenues and exploration of varied perspectives. Writers, however, must be able to relate all information to the central theme of the piece.
The following steps detail an efficient synthesis paper writing strategy used by some of the best writers in the industry.
- Analyse the prompt well
The synthesis essay prompt provides the direction towards which the writer must steer his composition.
- Writers must look for any implicitly or explicitly mentioned themes and traits that will form the core of their synthesis.
- After inferring the central topic, it is best to narrow it down unless you are writing a large thesis paper.
- Overarching essay topics cover a lot of ground and typically involve a myriad of points of view. Be ready to synthesise information from different perspectives in such cases.
- Keep in mind that the more sources your cite, the more perspectives you will encounter and must analyse in the essay.
Remember, coherency is a crucial and delicate factor in synthesis essays. Make sure that you understand the central theme and select your sources carefully.
- Choose your sources carefully
The choice of information sources is critical to the success of synthesis essays.
- Writers must extract relevant information from every source which relates to the central idea of their essay. Choosing the right sources helps synthesise a well-knit write-up.
- The essay prompt can sometimes dictate the number of sources to be synthesised.
- In some cases, instead of a synthesis essay prompt, you may be given several sources from where you need to collate data. If so, you need to be very careful while formulating the purpose of your essay.
Crafting synthesis essays is quite similar to developing a dissertation or research paper. Literature reviews are quite analogous to synthesis essays.
- It’s all about harmony
Coordination and consonance are crucial for any synthesis essay.
- All ideas that you gather must contribute to the development of a cohesive essay that informs and enlightens.
- Synthesising is not about classification or summarising the similarities and dissimilarities from different texts. Instead, you must note how the information from various texts overlaps—zero in on the greatest points of convergence & the significant areas of divergence of the different texts.
- Synthesis essays are themselves subdivided into different types. However, the commonality of all such paper types is that they synthesise information from varied sources.
Synthesis essay topics often deal with complicated subjects. Select your sources minutely so that you can develop a perfect thesis statement.
We next move into the details of drafting the perfect essay.
Developing the definitive synthesis essay outline
The general outline of a synthesis essay closely follows the basic essay structure. However, there are specific notable differences in the basic framework.
This section highlights those differences and presents the key steps to writing an excellent synthesis essay.
- Craft a strong but informative thesis statement
No matter what your synthesis essay prompt is, experts suggest against making an opinionated thesis statement. It should be emphatic but also representative of all ideas encountered in the sources.
- Your thesis statement sets the tone for the rest of your essay. It should be a one-line summary of your write-up and an answer to the essay question or topic.
- Look to your essay prompt and thesis statement for direction any time you are struggling to find appropriate data or make logical connections.
- The thesis binds together all the ideas and informs readers about your own analysis of different perceptions. It reflects YOUR final, unbiased perspective on a subject.
Every paragraph must be in-line with the thesis statement. Infer how all your coated information overlap and use it to link chain everything together.
- Impress with your introduction
The introduction must acquaint the audience with the subject and its background.
- Provide background details about the topic, the texts utilised and their authors.
- Add a personal anecdote to showcase your knowledge and opinion.
- State the significance of the topic under discussion.
- Hook your readers by making eye-catching statements, asking a provocative question or presenting surprising and uncommon information to irk their interest.
The introduction and the thesis statement should work together to educate and engage a reader.
- Structure body paragraphs as per the purpose
The body is where your ideas, analysis and synthesis take fruit. Condense all the different perspectives, information, writing styles into a composition that compares and contrasts every one of them appropriately.
- Most synthesis essays have a topic paragraph that situates the issue within a particular context. The section offers a brief description of the chosen texts before highlighting their differences and commonalities.
- Writers can craft the body according to their chosen slant or the essay prompt requirements. Some typical slants can be :
- Fact-based= This particular style involves a holistic view of the critical factors or outcomes of a subject in light of different pieces of literature. It does not permit the inclusion of arguments and counter-arguments.
- Stylistic-based= Writers can discuss how each author treated a particular subject by noting their writing style, use of literary devices or
- Value-based= A technique followed in most argumentative synthesis essay topics, writers have to analyse a particular perspective in one paragraph and highlight a different perspective in the next. Appropriate concessions and rebuttals must be added to help connect everything to the thesis statement.
- Write in a way so that readers can easily see where and how all information overlaps.
Always remember to treat all texts in a fair and unbiased manner. This makes the essay well-rounded and well-thought-out.
- Conclusion and Epiphany
The conclusion reminds readers of the different ideas encountered and how they relate to the overall them or topic.
Add an epiphany in one or more sentences that make readers think about the relevance of the topic in their life.
Following the above outline minutely can help you synthesise an essay that will be capable of addressing all different topics and literature effectively.
Start practising your synthesis essay writing with a bunch of good synthesis essay topics below.
Some Quirky Synthesis Essay Topics
Here are some great topics for synthesis essay, which will require you to think and research during the developmental process critically.
Does technology make people lonely?
Are students cheating to survive or to learn?
Is personal privacy more important than national security?
Does violence in video games lead have real-life repercussions?
Are students distracted by technology?
Can money buy us happiness?
Are students taught the necessary skills needed to succeed in life?
What measures should be taken to stop cyber-bullying?
Is talent really more important than hard work?
Can a standardised test measure people's abilities correctly?
Should users be allowed to remain anonymous online?
When do young people become adults?
Should companies gather information about us?
Does life exist somewhere besides Earth?
And, with that, we wrap up this little blog. Here's hoping you were able to learn something useful from it. Bookmark it for the future and start practising today!
But, if unforeseen circumstances prevent you from synthesising an original essay, then have no fear as Essaygator .com is here.
Submit Superb Synthesis Essays With Expert Writing Assistance From Essaygator.Com
More than 4000 writers await you command to deliver comprehensive essay solutions of any kind and on any stream. Our writers deliver well-researched and detailed solutions well within the specified deadline. We even add proper citations and appendices if determined by the guidelines.
Our writers take excellent care while working on your order and follow all specified guidelines to perfection. Excellent grades are a guarantee on every essay we deliver.
Drop all your essay writing requests at our chat portal and have an accurate one ready in no time at all.
Here are some fantastic features and perks that will make your experience worth its while:
- Complete writing assistance for all essay types
- Service Packages at affordable prices
- A Simple order placement process
- Free samples
- Zero plagiarism guarantee
- 24/7 customer support service
Give us a call or drop a message at our chat service and get excellent writing guidance from the Web’s number one academic assistance service, Essaygator.com.