How To Write An Ideal Teaching Job Application
It is often said that teaching profession gives highest job satisfaction. Definitely, there is no surprise with the fact why thousands of students possess teaching aspirations and after completing their studies start applying in various schools and colleges. A teaching job not only promises a secure career but it also assures good appraisal every year. Above all, it always feels nice to teach students and organize different educational, sports and other curricular activities throughout the academic session.
However, getting a teaching job is not very easy especially in this time of intense competition. You need to have a sharp eye towards any vacancies reported in any school of your choice. When you see a suitable job offer, do not be late in submitting your application. In the field of education, your application will be the key to your impending success. The whole application will enclose your application letter, your personal statement and obviously your resume. Though referred as the personal statement, it will be the heart of your application where you need to convince the recruiters that you are the best person for the profile.
Before Applying: The Basics
A teaching job comes with a myriad of requirements. Not only that, every offer has separate specifications and necessities. So applying a teaching application blindly will not help you. The form of the application can vary depending on the school’s requirements. But there are some general requirements which will make your application stronger. They are as follows:
- Make your application suitable for the individual role exhibiting how you match the job specifications.
- Research about the school prior to the application.
- Providing references are essential for teaching applications. Your referees should be prepared for such requests.
- Some schools issues application pack. Submit all the forms accordingly. However, most of the schools including state institutions ask for an application letter, personal statement and the resume.
- Before sending the application, double check all the details that you have provided in the forms. Give special importance to the grammar and spelling. Your application can get rejected for a simple spelling mistake!
- Keep a copy of all the documents that you have given with you. Take those along when you are called for the interview.
The job application form should be duly filled by you and no one else. Do not make any mistake in this document. The personal statement that you need to provide is equally important as the application. Good and strong personal statements will help you to get shortlisted among the hundreds of applications.
What you can expect in the application form?
Every school authority provides an application form to all the applicants. In the application form, there are various categories but the teaching job application forms include the mandatory categories.
It includes your name, address, contact details and other information.
Mention initial teacher training courses giving all the details at first. Then sequentially mention all your educational qualifications. Remember they should be mentioned chronologically.
Start with the recent information and only provide the details of the relevant jobs. You can also expand concisely discussing your teaching experience.
All the candidates need to provide at least two references. But you must obtain their individual permissions before providing their names and other details.
It will also include other important categories. Fill them up, if required, under the guidance of seniors or recruiting officers.
Writing the Personal Statement: Things to Remember
A personal Statement is one of the most important parts of the school job application. It is the opportunity to provide detailed evidence of how you qualify in every set of requirements by the respective school. When you are writing your personal statement, you should follow these guidelines.
- The whole personal statement should not exceed two sides of a paper, if not otherwise instructed. Always write on one side of an A4 size paper.
- Customize your statement for each new application according to the vacancy and expectations of the school authority.
- According to the advertized job role, emphasize on your suitable individual strengths.
- In every country there is an established teacher standard prescribed by the government. Always structure your personal statement accordingly.
- It is essential to give you specific examples about all the claims that you make in the statement.
Your application must clarify and answer the following questions:
1. Why you are applying for the role?
Mention your knowledge about the educational system and the respective school. You can also mention any other special circumstances which you find relevant.
2. What are your educational qualifications?
Give every detail about your training course, your dissertation (if relevant) and research projects which you have accomplished. Do not forget to add your other related experiences.
3. What is your teaching experience?
Mention what groups you have taught and covered in your previous experience. If you don’t have any, mention what are the strategies that you wish to employ to teach the students.
4. What are your visions and beliefs about primary/ secondary education?
If you have any implementable policy with regard to teaching students, give it. You can also state if you have some clear visions about the future.
Always end the personal statement on a positive note, displaying your enthusiasm. But avoid clichés or glorifying yourself.
There are many applicants who are unable to write their own application or personal statement due to lack of guidance. Here we present a sample application letter and a sample personal statement for your benefit. Consult these samples before preparing your own.
A sample application letter for school teacher job
Date: 26th November, 2015
Reference: Advertisement requesting applications for secondary teacher published in the newspaper dated 20th November, 2015
Subject: Application for the post of secondary teacher
With reference to your advertisement dated on 20th Nov, 2015, I present myself as a potential candidate for the post of secondary teacher. According to the job description, I am confident that I have all the necessary abilities and experience that you are looking for.
Currently, I work in . . . . School since the last two years located very near to your institution. So, I am quite familiar with the locality and the student community over here. I am aware of the high reputation that your school has in the academic world and I would like to associate myself with this esteemed institution.
I have attached my personal statement and my resume with this application. I thank you for your time and I look forward to hear from you.
Name of the candidate
A sample secondary school personal statement
In the two years of my experience as a teacher, I have always tried to create a passion among the students to learn the subjects. I believe, creating an interactive ambience where the students can feel free is the best atmosphere to learn. As a teacher, it is my responsibility to provide the students all the opportunities to ensure them a positive experience.
After accomplishing my post graduation in History from the University of Oxford, I joined a large school in Bristol which provided me valuable knowledge, experience and insight about the various teaching styles and assessment strategies. I was anointed to teach history in the secondary classes. Along with my formal duty, I was directly involved with various types of curricular projects and the annual sports organized by the administration. I found this whole experience very rewarding which gave me some valuable experiences and memories.
In the school and college, I had regularly participated in different sporting competitions and I was a regular member of our college football team. I have also participated in the national school and college championships where our school reached the semi-finals. My involvement with sports especially team games helped to realize the importance of positive relationships. I want to imbibe the same spirit in the students. Other than sports, latest gadgets and technology enthrall me including the recent gaming consoles.
I always strive to create a constructive and competitive atmosphere in the classes. I have the experience of teaching students till the eighth grade. Qualifying in the PGCE enriched my capabilities and strengths. I aim to combine my all knowledge, experience and abilities to become a compassionate yet strict practitioner to make a positive contribution to your school and to the society as a whole.
I look forward to get an opportunity for a personal interview where I can discuss my experiences and skills. I love the challenge of being a secondary teacher and I believe that your institution will give me the opportunities to evolve as a not only as an educator but also a mentor and guide for countless young hearts.
The application form is the standard place where every candidate introduces themselves, whereas the personal statement helps you to get noticed by the recruiters. Some important tips which will help you to make your personal statement better are as follows:
- There are many candidates who have gaps in their studies or employment. Do not hide them from the authority rather provide all the positives that you did during that hiatus.
- Remember, you would be asked from your personal statement and application form during the personal interview. Do not claim anything which you cannot prove before the recruiting officers. Be enthusiastic with your subject but don’t show unwanted eagerness.
- If you have the experience of working somewhere do not say or write any negative statements about it. Clearly explain why did you left the job or what are the reasons that made you apply over here.
- The officers go through piles of applications where even a slightest mistake can cancel your candidature. Make sure that you commit no mistake with spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- If you are a fresher or in dire need of a job then you can apply for every vacancy that you come across. But experienced candidates should be more focused and apply to those jobs which are suitable for them.
- Try to write a paragraph about a school in which you are applying in the personal statement. Mention its contributions or achievements. It will show that you are aware of the latest events and above all you are applying personally for the school.
- Show your vocabulary (if you are an English teacher then it’s mandatory) in the personal statement. But don’t be over ambitious; write what you understand and competent to explain!
- If you can try to visit the school before you submit your application. Definitely you will come across something which you can add into your personal statement and make it more interesting.
The last but not the least is your resume. Make sure your resume exhibits all the information accurately and carries the latest information about you. Submit all the four documents (application letter, application form, personal statement and the resume) pinned together in time and wait for the call for your personal interview.
EssayGator.com team wishes you all the best for your success!
Feeling helpless with your practical tasks? Login to EssayGator.com!
You have aspirations to become a teacher. But for that you need to have excellent grades throughout all the exams at your graduation and post graduation level. We understand that it is very difficult to maintain high grades all the time especially when all the students need to develop multiple assignments simultaneously. EssayGator.com relieves these students from all the academic worries who spend sleepless nights owing to their strict academic schedule.
With a team of 3000+experienced academic experts, we are committed to provide the best assistance in every academic field. You will get impeccable papers much above your expectations. As the team has academic writers from USA, UK and Australia, the service is competent to provide assistance according to the university guidelines followed in these countries. The students can get customized assignments, essays, dissertations, case studies and term-papers from here.
Some of the special features of this assistance services are as follows:
- On-time delivery of the coursework
- 24x7 live assistance through phone, online chatting and email
- Plagiarism-free work guaranteed
- Unlimited free revisions and
- Affordable prices of the services.
Remember, your dream to be a teacher can receive a setback owing to your lower grades. Don’t ruin your career. Take the assistance from EssayGator.com and ensure yourself the highest grades in every paper.